El respetado Seth Grimes hace un esbozo de lo que considera 9 puntos claves a la hora de pensar en el futuro del Big Data:
1. "Correlation is not causation."
2. "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
3. Big data knows (almost) all.
4. "80% of business-relevant information originates in unstructured form, primarily text, (but also video, images, and audio)."
5. "It's not information overload. It's filter failure."
6. "The same meaning can be expressed in many different ways, and the same expression can express many different meanings."
7. "Big data is not about the data! The value in big data [is in] the analytics."
8. "Intuition is as important as ever."
9. The future of big data is synthesis and sensemaking.